A glimpse under the hood: the ceaseless activity of my mind.

06 September 2006

Lifeguard

During this summer, my family and I have developed a friendship with one of the lifeguards at our local pool. He is a little older and more confident than the other lifeguards are and truly does his job with pride and confidence.

Our sons first took to him, probably because he is the strongest authority figure with a red float belt and because of curiosity about his tattoos. But Lifeguard actually proved to be excellent interacting with our sons. He is firm yet allows fun. He learned their names and spoke to them like they were older children (even thought they are toddlers).

Tonight, I had an unexpected dinner with Lifeguard. My wife and I offered to help him if ever he needed anything. I was a little surprised to receive a call from him this afternoon asking to meet me to discuss his current state in life.

I agreed and we met for a little more than one hour. From my perspective, it was a nice discussion. I did my best to listen, empathize and offer practical advice in small chunks. He’s a quiet guy, but I think he was receptive. It’s exciting to be involved with someone who is setting goals and pursuing a dream. My wife and I hope and pray for the best for Lifeguard. I hope Lifeguard and I can meet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home