A glimpse under the hood: the ceaseless activity of my mind.

13 July 2006

Mentor

Many years ago, the division of the company I work for created an environment where I was able to establish a mentor/mentee relationship with a senior executive. It actually worked well because the relationship developed naturally over several years. I could always safely approach my mentor in confidence with any professional or personal questions. It was refreshing to have an influential person within the company with whom I could entrust any political issue, critical decision or personal struggle.

Then, three years ago, the big North American parent company decided to formalize the mentor/mentee relationships by force fitting people together, setting goals and encouraging non-working relationship building. Ultimately, this approach failed. However, I still meet monthly with my original mentor even though he is no longer with the company.

Out of my good mentor experience grew my desire to become a mentor. So, two years ago, I became the mentor of a man who is 8 years my junior. We met today and usually meet about once per month. He’s a hard working guy struggling to find his way. I don’t know how much he gets from me, but he helps me stay sharp and keep an open mind.

His questions deal a lot with life skills and force me to articulate things I haven’t thought about in years. As far as an open mind, well, he’s expanding his tattoo collection and has decided his ink looks better sans hair. For his job, he wears shorts with short-sleeve shirts. His latest art takes up most of the lower half of his right leg. But he’s only shaving the part of his leg with the tattoo instead of the entire leg. He doesn’t like how the hair distorts the art. I don’t have anything against tattoos or shaving, but I probably would have chosen a spot requiring less maintenance.

All of this is well and good, but made me realize I hit my mentor with stuff all the time that probably challenges him and opens his mind. We are different, but have a mutual respect for each other’s ideas, maintain honesty and truly care about each other’s lives. That’s what makes the relationship work. I hope that’s what I’m giving to my mentee, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://indexmachine.info/2163.html and http://neveo.info/1485.html

12:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home